Sunday 2 September 2018

Buckland Abbey

Down in Devon again. This time I am here for a year. From what I have seen so far it is a beautiful part of the country, the landscape is just incredible.

Rudbeckia in the Elizabethan Garden at Buckland Abbey
Last Saturday my mum helped me move down here to Devon from Buckinghamshire which was my home for the last year. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at working at Waddesdon Manor. However, I am ready to try something completely new. Despite a small hiccup first thing in the morning the move went without a hitch. I only realised when I started packing just how much stuff I have  managed to accumulate over the last year. I swear it just starts appearing out of nowhere but then if I start to think about it, I know exactly where it has all come from. I seem to have a penchant for picking up nick-knacks.

Sunday rained. All day, non-stop. Gloomy weather doesn't really inspire exploring so my mum and I spent the day organising my room and driving to the nearest town to pick up some food followed up with watching a movie classic in the evening, Dirty Dancing. One of the best all time movies. I am pretty sure I can watch the entire movie without actually looking at the screen. I know it so well that just thinking about it brings back so many good memories.

Entrance to Elizabethan Garden.


Monday morning brought sunshine or at least dry-ish weather so we decided to head off to Buckland Abbey for a visit. The abbey is nestled in the countryside of South West Devon looked after by the National Trust. It is alive with history and beautiful gardens. Buckland Abbey is the historical home of Cistercian monks who cultivated the land and latterly Sir Francis Drake, a privateer who explored the world in the 1500s.  The Abbey now supports a couple of functions, acting as a museum and gallery. As I wondered through the house I noticed bricked in windows, walls built around pillars and stairs that now no longer lead anywhere. These I read were once features of the monastery and over time the building has been reconstructed to suit the purposes of the house and family.

 Buckland Abbey

View of the Abbey from the side.

The gardens are separated out into the Kitchen garden, Abbey garden, Elizabethan Garden and Cider House garden are well maintained and colourful. Helpful pamphlets in the gardens list the beds and their plants. Answering questions that I otherwise would have asked a gardener. Unfortunately we did not have time to explore all of Buckland Abbey but I will definitely be heading back there soon to see what we missed.

Rosa 'For Your Eyes Only'
 I am very grateful for my mum for coming with me and to my friend who drove a van down to Devon to help me move. I am looking forward to seeing them both again at Christmas time.

For now, that's all folks.
I hope you have a great weekend.

Cosmic Egg in the barn at Buckland Abbey


No comments:

Post a Comment