Sunday 15 July 2018

Devonshire Holiday - Part 1

Mid June and it was time for a holiday. I was so looking forward to a weekend away with my mum. I had a great time. My mum came down from Scotland and stayed with me for a night before I drove us both down to Devon for a mother-daughter trip.

As we wanted to avoid the Motorway the whole way we chose to drive down the A34- A303- A30 route which took us on a tour of the countryside and past Stonehenge. Unfortunately we didn't get the chance to stop there but I have been before and it's well worth visiting. It is a beautiful example of the innovatory nature of our ancestors which is integral to our understanding of British history and culture.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/



Stourhead House
 We chose Stourhead, National trust, as our halfway stopping point. This allowed us to grab some lunch and stretch our legs for a couple of hours before getting back on the road. This is where I introduced my mum to the wonderful deliciousness of the Trust's salted caramel milk chocolate which is by far the best I have had yet. As both of us are National Trust members we did not have to pay the ticket cost for entry which saved us some money which we later spent in the shop.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/stourhead

View towards the distance, feels further away than it is.
Stourhead is an astonishing example of a landscape garden. The walk around the lake offers views from every angle. The landscapes, influenced by art and nature, offers a variety of pleasing vistas and intriguing buildings. You are drawn to them as you are offered glimpses through the woods and across the lakes. These peeks of wondrous ideas pull you along the paths and through the landscape and give you a sense of grandeur and possibility. They feel out of place and so much in the right place at the same time.
View of the lake.
My camera isn't great at long distance shots but I have added some photos to show the general idea. 






No comments:

Post a Comment